09 June 2012

Halfway there: N's fingerless mittens

Yesterday I had my only final for the Spring Term. It was online and there were true/false, a few short answer, and some multiple choice. I studied hard and think that I did well, but I'll have to wait and see. In addition to this, I worked on homework assignments and team paper writing and more studying... gah!

After all that work I needed a break!  Fortunately, I had my beloved Netflix subscription and a documentary that I've been wanting to see, Word Wars, was available!  What does this have to do with anything lovingly handcrafted, you might wonder?

A fingerless mitten! Pinned up the side for testing.

This!

I finished the first of two fingerless mittens for Nathan. Now, this one is just pinned together up the side to check the size so it's not finished.... but I'm so happy and it looks great.

It has a few rows of waffle-y stitch at the bottom with a stockinette cuff, then more waffle for the main hand portion and it it topped with a little stockinette band at the fingers. 

I'll wash it, block it, then sew it up the edge leaving room for the thumb and then I'll get to start a new one.  The big question: should I cast on the 2nd piece now... or wait until I make my momma a dishcloth in blue? 

Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

  1. I vote for casting on the 2nd piece now. For most of us the cast-on is the most tedious part, so you might as well get that part over with. Then, even if you take a break to make a dishcloth, you will have the cast-on done with already.

    Casting on now will also help reduce the occurrence of the dreaded "second-sock syndrome" or in this case second-mitt syndrome, in which you enjoy the high of having a finished part, but never get around to making the second one. There are a variety of possible explanations, but this is a common phenomenon in knitters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is such a good point. I really liked the first one, but now I'm sort of 'been there, done that' about the second. I did end up casting on yesterday, and did 1/2 of the waffle stitch series (it's a 4 row pattern) before I found it a little too much and I reverted to cutting fabric for some kitchen curtains.

      Since I only have 1 set of needles, I guess I *have* to finish this before I move forward :)

      Delete